- Final exam histogram and course histogram are posted (Quiz grades link)
- Final exam average 48% (7.7/16), standard deviation 21% (3.3/16)
- Quiz 5 grades are being posted on TED. Please look them over and message the TA if you believe they are in error within the a couple of days (no later than Mar 19).
- Histogram for quiz 5 is posted (Quiz grades link). Quiz average 45% (2.7/6), standard deviation 28% (1.7/6).
- The FINAL will cover all course material. To prepare for it, review the quizzes and solutions, review the homework problems and solutions, do this practice final (updated 3/16, 3pm), review the lectures, book chapters,... Good luck! Don't forget your scantron, calculator AND Student ID card
- Lecture 23, 3/15/2018
- Quiz 5 will NOT include Chpt. 36 Sects. 4, 5, 6, 7. The final will.
- Lecture 22, 3/13/2018
- Homework set 10 and solutions are posted (note: the solutions originally posted for Chpt. 34 problems were from another chapter, correct ones are posted since 3/12, noon)
- Quiz 5 is on Friday, March 16. Formulas for quiz 5 are posted. (updated 3/11, 7:35pm)
- Quiz 5 will be on Chapters 33, 34, 35, 36
- Change in grading policy: 1 quiz can be dropped, then final counts 60%, 4 quizzes count 40%; or, no quiz dropped, 5 quizzes count 50%, final 50%. Option that gives highest grade will be used for every student.
- Quiz 4 grades are being posted on TED. Please look them over and message the TA if you believe they are in error within the a couple of days (no later than Mar 6).
- Lecture 21 , 3/9/2018
- Lecture 20 , 3/6/2018
- Histogram for quiz 4 is posted (Quiz grades link). Quiz average 53% (3.2/6), standard deviation 25% (1.5/6).
- Homework set 9 is posted
- Lecture 19 , 3/1/2018
- Lecture 18 , 2/27/2018
- Quiz 4 is on Friday, March 2. Formulas for quiz 4 are posted.
- No instructor office hour today Feb. 26, sorry
- Quiz 4 will be on Chapters 16 (Waves - I) and 17 (Waves - II)
- Homework set 8 is posted
- Homework set 7 solutions are posted
- Lecture 17 , 2/23/2018
- Quiz 3 grades have been posted on TED. Please look them over and message the TA if you believe they are in error within the next 2 days (no later than Feb 23).
- Histogram for quiz 3 is posted (Quiz grades link). Quiz average 47% (2.8/6), standard deviation 28% (1.7/6).
- Lecture 16 , 2/20/2018
- Homework set 7 is posted
- Corrected solutions posted. Thank you to Austin Wiechmann for pointing out the mistake!
- There was a mistake in the posted solutions, corrected will be posted soon
- Quiz 3 solutions are posted
- Lecture 15 , 2/15/2018
- Lecture 14 , 2/13/2018
- Homework set 6 solutions are posted
- Quiz 3 is on Friday, February 16. Formulas for quiz 3 are posted.
- Quiz 3 will be on Chapters 14 (fluids) and 15 (oscillations)
- Homework set 6 is posted
- Today's (Friday 2/9) instructor office hours will be 2pm-3pm instead of 1:30pm-2:30pm.
- Lecture 13 , 2/9/2018
- Lecture 12 , 2/8/2018
- Lecture 11 , 2/6/2018
- Quiz 2 grades have been posted on TED. Please look them over and message the TA if you believe they are in error within the next 3 days (no later than Feb 7).
- Histogram for quiz 2 is posted (Quiz grades link). Quiz average 53% (3.2/6), standard deviation 27% (1.6/6).
- Homework set 5 is posted
- Lecture 10 , 2/1/2018
- Lecture 9 , 1/30/2018
- Change of plan for quiz 2: it will NOT include anything on Chpt. 14.
- Quiz 2 is on Friday, February 2nd. Formulas for quiz 2 are posted. Quiz 2 will cover (in addition to the material covered in quiz 1): Ch. 19, distribution of molecular speeds and velocities, mean free path; Ch. 20, entropy and the second law, reversible and irreversible processes, heat engines and refrigerators, statistical view of entropy; Ch. 14, fluids, density and pressure, fluids at rest, Pascal's principle, Archimedes' principle.
- Homework set 4 solutions are posted
- Lecture 8, 1/26/2018
- Homework set 4 is posted
- Lecture 7 , 1/25/2018
- Homework set 3 solutions are posted
- Lecture 6 , 1/23/2018
- Histogram for quiz 1 is posted (Quiz grades link). Quiz average 47% (2.83/6), standard deviation 24% (1.46/6). Expected score for random guessing 23% (1.4/6).
- In order to facilitate quiz grading, PLEASE REMEMBER FOR NEXT QUIZZES: (a) bubble ID correctly, (b) use pencil instead of pen, (c) don't use a ripped Scantron form, (d) don't use incorrect Scantron forms, (e) remember to actually bring a Scantron form, (f) remember to substitute 'A' with '1' when you bubble in your ID, (g) submit answers correctly, i.e. (i) don't mark multiple choices for the same question, (ii) if you have to erase an answer then make it clearly erased, (iii) don't shift the entire answers in the form down one row. There may be a grade penalty for any of the above.
- Instructor office hour on Monday Jan 22 will be 1-2pm instead of 1:30-2:30pm
- Quiz 1 solutions are posted
- Homework set 3 is posted
- Quiz 1 is tomorrow Friday 1/19, 10:00am YORK 2722 . Be on time please.
- Lecture 5 , 1/18/2018
- Lecture 4 , 1/16/2018
- Formulas for quiz 1 are posted, click on "Quiz solutions" link below
- Homework set 2 and solutions are posted
- Lecture 3 , 1/12/2018
- Lecture 2 , 1/11/2018
- Lecture 1 , 1/9/2018
- Remember to attend discussion/problem section this week (second week) on Wednesday
- Note new TA office hours given below. On Tu of second week, TA Office hours will be: 2-3pm, 4226 Mayer Hall, 3-4pm Tutorial center
- First lecture is Tuesday, January 9th.
- First discussion section is Wed Jan 17th (next week, not this).
- First problem section is Friday Jan 12th, WLH 2005. Don't forget to attend.
- Homework set 1 and solutions are posted (see link below "Homework assignments and solutions").
- Course organization, requirements and syllabus (first day handout)
- Please read the "Students' Responsibilities" section on page 1 of the UCSD Policy on Integrity of Scholarship, here is a pdf. If in doubt, ask.
- Please include phys2c or just 2C in the subject line when you send email about the course, so it goes to the right mailbox
- Textbook: Halliday-Resnick, 10th ed. For electronic version, see below. For hard copy, get it at the bookstore.
Lectures: TuTh 3:30p-4:50p, F 10:00a-10:50a YORK 2722
Quizzes: some Fridays, 10:00a-10:50a YORK 2722 (see Course and Quiz Schedule above)
Discussion 1: W 5:00p-5:50p PCYNH 1062
Discussion 2: W 6:00p-6:50p PCYNH 1062
Problems: M 6:00p-7:50p WLH 2005, and Friday Jan 12, 6:00p-7:50p WLH 2005
Course Text: Halliday Resnick 10th edition, Fundamentals of Physics. You can get hard copy at the bookstore.
For electronic version, sign in at www.wileyplus.com/class/613398, use PROMO CODE: UCS63 to be charged $49 instead of $140 (works when selecting Online Access only option). It also gives you a 14 days free trial period. READ THIS FOR DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS
Course Description: See General Catalog
Final exam: Tuesday 3 – 6 p.m.
Instructor: Jorge E. Hirsch, 5310 Mayer Hall, Ext. 4-3931, e-mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday 1:30 - 2:30 pm, Friday 1:30 - 2:30 pm
5310 Mayer Hall is near southwest corner of building, outside balcony
Teaching Assistant: Shauna Kravec, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Wed 2-3pm, 4226 Mayer Hall, and Mon 2-3pm and Tu 3-4pm, MHA 2702 (Physics Tutorial Center)