- Homework set 5 problems are posted
- Homework set 4 problems are posted
- Quiz 2 is this Monday, October 18. Bring a blue book, a calculator, and a phone that will allow you to scan your answers after you finish and upload it to Gradescope. You also have to hand in the bluebook. Formulas that will be given with the quiz are posted, go to link "Quiz solutions" below to look at them.
- Homework set 3 and solutions are posted
- Quiz 1 solutions are posted
- Homework 2 solutions are posted
- Quiz 1 is this Monday, October 4. Bring a blue book, a calculator, and a phone that will allow you to scan your answers after you finish and upload it to Gradescope. You also have to hand in the bluebook. Formulas that will be given with the quiz are posted, go to link "Quiz solutions" below and look at them.
- Homework set 2 is posted
- First problem section is Thursday September 30, 5pm-6:50pm. Location: MYR-A 2623 (Mayer Hall addition).
Today: CASS 383, 4pm-5:50pm
- You can access this page directly from your browser at https://course.physics.ucsd.edu/2021/Fall/physics2d/
- See other announcements on Canvas webpage
- First lecture is Thursday, September 23.
- First discussion section is Wed September 29.
- First quiz is Monday Oct. 4.
- Homework set 1 is posted (see link below "Homework assignments and solutions").
- Please read the "Students' Responsibilities" section on page 1 of the UCSD Policy on Integrity of Scholarship, here is a pdf. If in doubt, ask.
- Please include 2d or 2D in the subject line when you send email about the course, so it goes to the right mailbox
- Reading material: How I created the theory of relativity (pdf) ; Einstein's first and second 1905 papers on relativity.
Lectures: M 4-4:50p, Revelle North (outdoors) Tu, Th 11:00a-12:20p, Warren East (outdoors)
Quizzes: some Mondays, 4-4:50p, Revelle North (see Schedule of lectures and quizzes link above)
Discussion: Wed 10-10:50a, or 11-11:50a, HSS 2154
Problems: Thursdays 4 to 6PM, Room CASS 383 (3rd Floor of SERF Building)
Course Text: Kenneth Krane, Modern Physics, Fourth Edition, Wiley, 2019. Get book at UCSD bookstore , or Wiley, or here , or elsewhere (amazon etc).
Course Description: See General Catalog
Final exam: Wednesday December 8, 11:30am-2:29pm
Instructor: Jorge E. Hirsch, 5310 Mayer Hall, Ext. 4-3931, e-mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: In person or for zoom click here : M 1:30 - 2:30 pm, F 2:00 - 3:00 pm, or by appt.
Teaching Assistant: Bharat Kambalur, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Th 3pm-4pm, SERF 439
HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS: Problems from the book will be assigned every week, solutions will be posted on the web page. To fully understand the material, you should work the problems on your own without help of the solution key. The homeworks will not be graded.
DISCUSSION AND PROBLEM SECTIONS: Attendance and participation is strongly encouraged.
QUIZZES: Quizzes will be given on alternate Mondays (five quizzes), see Course Schedule. There will be lectures on the other Mondays.
FINAL EXAM: There will be an in-class final exam on finals week.
COURSE GRADE: 50% final, 50% five quizzes, or 60% final, 40% four quizzes. Or other combinations if approved by instructor for valid reasons.
Grading scale: A: >85 %, B: >65%, C: >45%, D: >30%.