Welcome to Physics 211A, Solid State Physics, Fall 2017
- The final presentations will be Tuesday 12/12, starting at 12 noon, location MHA 5623: Matthias, Tinkham, Cohen, Tsui, Slichter
- Schedule for talks: Tu 12/5: Anderson; Thu 12/7: Kohn, Schrieffer, Hopfield
- Evaluation sheet (open with microsoft word)
- Special topic papers
- Hohenberg-Kohn and Kohn-Sham DFT papers
- Read Chpt. 11 of Ashcroft/Mermin for more details on band structure calculation methods.
- Long homework problem is posted.
- Note: there has been a change in Homework set 4, see updated version.
- Homework set 4 is posted
- Office hour Monday 11/23 3:10-4:10pm instead of 2-3pm.
- Homework set 3 is posted
- See correction on last problem of second homework set
- Send me your choice of special topic as soon as possible
- Read about the covalent bond in Chpt. 1 of Ibach and Luth (see "Other books" below)
- First homework set is due Tuesday Oct. 9 at the lecture
- First lecture is Thursday, September 28.
- Please include 211 in the subject line when you send email about the course
Lectures: Tu Th 12:30p - 1:50p, Mayer Hall 5301
Course Text: Ashcroft / Mermin, Solid State Physics
Course Description: See General Catalog
Instructor: Jorge E. Hirsch, 5310 Mayer Hall, Ext. 4-3931, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (include 211 in subject line)
Office Hours: Mon 2-3 or by appointment