SUBJECT MATTER AND COURSE TEXTS
Classical Mechanics is a mature subject which lies at the core of Physics. Your familiarity with mathematical techniques such as vector calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra will allow us to pursue a rather sophisticated study of Mechanics, and by applying these powerful tools to physical problems, you will sharpen both your physical intuition as well as your mathematical skills.

The course text is Alain Brizard's "Introduction to Lagrangian Mechanics". It appears to be a pretty decent book, with the advantage that it won't cost you an arm and a leg. But you don't really need to buy it since I will be following my own course notes, which are fairly extensive, typeset and with figures, and available through the course web site.

LECTURE NOTES

The notes are available here.
They were written to be used for both the undergraduate (110AB) and graduate (200A) courses. Every so often you will encounter advanced material which is appropriate for first year grad students. When this happens, do not panic! If I don't mention a particular topic or example in class, and it does not appear on the homework, chances are excellent that you will not be responsible for it. (The more mathematically inclined among you may find these sections interesting and even inspirational, however.)

HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS

I will assign one problem set per week. You are encouraged to discuss the problem sets with your fellow students. I suggest that you initially try to do the problems by yourselves, so that you can more accurately identify your confusions and honestly assess your weaknesses. Then, before you write up your assignment, get together with some of your fellow students to talk over the problems and hammer out the details. A detailed solution set will be made available through the course web site after you hand in each assignment.

IMPORTANT: Homework must be submitted via the CANVAS web page for Physics 110A. Assignments are due by 6 pm on their due date.

DISCUSSION/PROBLEM SESSIONS AND OFFICE HOURS

The TA (Jyotsna Gidugu) and I will hold weekly office hours. Please come and see us! We will also conduct weekly problem session during which the class will break up into small groups which will solve example problems. The combined discussion/problem session is scheduled for Wednesday evenings, from 6:00 pm until 7:50 pm in RWAC 0121.

GRADING
The magic formula: 45% problem sets, 15% midterm, 40% comprehensive final. The midterm will take place in class on Oct. 17, while the final is on Dec. 6. To submit an exam or problem set for re-grading, you must resubmit your original work together with a detailed description of your grievance.

UCSD POLICY ON FACE MASKS

Until further notice, masking is required in all indoor classroom/instructional settings, as well as in all clinical areas and on Triton/university transportation.