- Quiz 2 solutions are posted.
- Homework set 4 and solutions are posted.
- Quiz 2 (Chpts. 17, 18): Please bring a new blue book, a calculator (preferably non-graphics-non-programmable), a pen, and a 3x5 note card with formulas (you can use both sides). Constants will be given. Please note that calculators that are also communication devices (e.g. iphone with a calculator app) are strictly forbidden. Please be on time.
- Homework set 3 and solutions are posted.
- Quiz 1 solutions are posted, see link to "Quiz solutions" below
- Quiz 1 (fluids, Chpt. 13): Please bring a blue book, a calculator (preferably non-graphics-non-programmable), a pen, and a 3x5 note card with formulas for Chpt. 13. Constants will be given. Please note that calculators that are also communication devices (e.g. iphone with a calculator app) are strictly forbidden. Please be on time.
- Homework set 2 and solutions are posted.
- Note: if you don't have the textbook yet, here is a scanned copy of Chapter 13
- Note: the Tu-Th lectures at CSB-001 have been relocated to CSB-004 starting this Thu April 4.
- First lecture is Monday, April 2
- First discussion section is Wed April 4
- First problem section is Thu April 5
- First quiz is Monday April 9
- Homework set 1 and solutions are posted (see link below "Homework assignments and solutions").
- Please read the "Students' Responsibilities" section on page 1 of the UCSD Policy on Integrity of Scholarship, here is a pdf. If in doubt, ask.
- Please include phys4b or just 4B in the subject line when you send email about the course, so it goes to the right mailbox
Lectures: TuTh 12:30p-1:50p, CSB 004; M 4:00p-4:50p Mande B-210
Quizzes: some Mondays, 4:00p-4:50p Mande B-210 (see Course and Quiz Schedule above)
Discussion: W 4:00p-4:50p York 2622
Problems: Th 6:00p-7:30p, Center Hall 217B.
(1) Giancoli, Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Pearson, 2009
(2) French, Vibrations and Waves, Norton, 1971
Course Description: See General Catalog
Final exam: M 11:30a-2:29p, location TBA
Instructor: Jorge E. Hirsch, 5310 Mayer Hall, Ext. 4-3931, e-mail: email@example.com
Office Hour: Friday 1:30 - 2:30 pm
5310 Mayer Hall is near southwest corner of building, outside balcony
Teaching Assistant: Sridip Pal, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hour: Tu 2:30-3:30pm, 4430 Mayer Hall
HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS: Problems from the book will be assigned every week, solutions will be posted on the web page. To fully understand the material, you should work most of the problems on your own without help of the solution key. Homeworks will not be graded.
QUIZZES: Closed-book quizzes will be given on alternate Mondays, the first one on April 9th. There will be lectures on the other Mondays. There will be no make-up quizzes.
COURSE GRADE will be computed from the average of the 5 quizzes (50%) and the (closed book) final exam (50%). If you need to miss a quiz due to unavoidable circumstances AND notify the instructor beforehand, the weight of the final and other quizzes may be adjusted accordingly.