Welcome to Physics 211A, Solid State Physics, Fall 2018
- Evaluation sheet
- Schedule of presentations
- Read AM Chpt. 17
- Read AM Chpts. 22, 23, 24
- Solution to long problem 2 is posted
- Solution to long problem 1 is posted
- Read AM Chpt. 12
- Read AM Chpt. 11
- Read this paper on tight binding model
- Read AM Chpt. 10
- Read AM Chpts. 8, 9.
- Homework set 4 is posted
- Read AM Chpts. 5, 6.
- Start reading AM Chpt. 5.
- Read AM Chpts. 3, 4 and 7.
- Homework set 3 is posted
- Read AM Chpt. 2
- Homework set 2 is posted
- Finish reading AM Chpt. 1, including thermal conductivity and thermopower.
- Homework set 1 is posted
- Read Chpt. 1 of Ashcroft-Mermin
- Read about the covalent bond in Chpt. 1 of Ibach and Luth (see "Other books" below)
- Hear about the history of Solid State Physics here.
- Read about the history of Solid State Physics here and here.
- First lecture is Thursday, September 27.
- Please include 211 in the subject line when you send email about the course
Lectures: Tu Th 11a - 12:20p, MHA 5623
Course Text: Ashcroft / Mermin, Solid State Physics
Course Description: See General Catalog
Final: Wed Dec 12, 11:30am-2:30pm
Instructor: Jorge E. Hirsch, 5310 Mayer Hall, Ext. 4-3931, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (include 211 in subject line)
Office Hours: Mon 2-3 or by appointment