`

Instructor: Wouter-Jan Rappel
Office Hours:

Wed 4:00 - 5:00 PM
Urey Hall 7242

Lectures:
Tue Thurs 2:00 - 3:20 PM
Wed 7:00 - 7:50 PM
York Hall 2722

TA:  Dylan Gilbert

Office Hours:

Mon 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM

Mayer Hall Addition 2702 (Physics Tutorial Center)

Discussion Sessions:
Wed 8:00 PM - 8:50 PM
York Hall 2722

Problem Sessions:
Tue 7:00 - 8:50 PM
Warren Lecture Hall 2005

UPDATES:

Final Exam and Final Grades on TED.

Announcements
12/13
Final exam grades and cumulative percentage grades are now available on TED. Question 8 was not graded because an error was found after the exam in version B, so scores are out of 23.
12/1
I have been asked to move my office hours to 7-8pm on Monday Dec. 2 instead of the normal 4:30-5:30. If that doesn't work for anyone, email me and I'll try to reconcile. As always, there will be help sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday, and Professor Rappel has office hours Wednesday afternoon.
11/22
There will be no discussion or problem sections next week. Instead, I'll hold double office hours Monday 4:30-5:30 and Tuesday 7-8. Also, although I've posted the solutions for chapter 32 in case anyone will be working on it over Thanksgiving break, it will not be on quiz 7. That does not mean it will not be on the final, however! As always, I strongly, strongly recommend that you work problems and ask questions about them before looking at the solutions.
11/11
Being Veterans' Day, the Tutorial Center is closed and the building is locked. If you all have building access, you can still find me during the normal office hours slot 4:30-5:30 in 5521, the southeast corner of the 5th floor of Mayer Hall.
11/8
When asking me to check a grade-related issue, please include your ID# and your quiz version (A or B), if you can. I can look them up, but it gets tedious. Thanks!
11/4
I'm going to be a bit late to the upcoming office hours. If I'm not there when you arrive, I'll be there no later than 5.
10/29
Grades for quiz 3 are on TED. IMPORTANT WARNING: On all remaining quizzes, students who arrive after 7:15 pm will not be allowed to take the quiz. Apologies for the late solutions. I intended to post them earlier, but forgot. If in the future you want the solutions to be up, and they are not, send me (Dylan) an email.
10/23
I (Dylan) am changing my office hours to to Monday 4:30-5:30pm by request, since turnout at my current hours has been low. If you would strongly prefer a different time, let me know.
10/11
Quiz 1 grades should be available on TED. ID entry mistakes, differences between the official class list and the actual list of people who took the quiz, etc. required me to use some Excel-fu to figure out the grades for everyone. As a result, I could easily have made a small error somewhere. If you are certain that you scored better than indicated on TED, let me (Dylan) know and I will check it manually. If you cannot access TED, email me and I will look it up for you.
10/02
While going over problem 29 at tonight's session, it was pointed out that our answer disagreed with the book, but there was not time to work out why. Here's why: I neglected to include F_35, the force of particle 3 on particle 5, as part of F_x. I implicitly said F_x=F_15, but it is actually F_x=F_15-F_35. Hope this didn't cause much confusion. I will be available in the physics tutorial center 2-5 on Thursday.
10/01
First TA office hours are today at 4 in the Tutorial Center. Come with questions!
09/25
If you are having any difficulties with your physics class there is a physics tutorial center in Mayer Hall Addition 2702. It's open Sun-Thur 3:00 PM - 8:00 PM. The web page is:
http://tutorialcenter.ucsd.edu

Here is an image of the scantron form that you need for quizzes.

Scantron

Download the course syllabus here

Syllabus

If you cannot find the latest posted material, you should hold the "option" key down with your finger while clicking on the "Reload" button with the mouse (for Netscape web browsers); or hold the "Ctrl" key down with your finger while pressing on the "F5" key with another finger (for MS Internet Explorer web browsers). This explicitly reloads the current version of this page off of the net, and not off of the disk cache on your own computer.