Physics 2a, Info and Rules

Acknowledgment: Our course design and lecture slides here will pretty much entirely copy UCSD Professor Vivek Sharma's wonderful Physics 2a course from last year. (At the moment Professor Sharma is Hunting the Higgs and related secrets of Nature at the LHC, check it out on myucsd.tv.)

Be sure to get your code number BY SEPTEMBER 29. Get your code number here.

Note that the scantron should be the RED one. It's called ParSCORE and the number is X-101864-PAR-L.

Prerequisite: Math 20A and concurrent in 20B.

Text: 2nd custom edition for UCSD of University Physics by Young and Freedman (12th edition), available only at the UCSD bookstore.

Course Times : Lecture: MW 2:00-2:50pm York 2722 and Tues, 5:00-5:50pm WLH 2001; Discussion Session: Weds 8:00-8:50 PETER 108. Problem session: Thurs 6:30-7:30, CENTR 115. Friday session is for quizzes.

Homework: Do your exercises, they're good for you (don't peek at the answers)!

Quizzes: Fridays 2:00-2:50pm, York 2722. There will be 8 quizzes; your lowest 2 scores will be dropped. Bring: code number, number 2 pencil, scantron, ID, 5x7 cheat sheet (both sides OK). Calculator is OK for now. Quiz dates: EVERY FRIDAY from 10/1 through Nov. 19.

Thanksgiving: No lecture (or problem session) on Weds Nov. 24 (day before Thanksgiving). Makeup lecture on Friday December 3 (last day of classes).

Final: Weds December 8, 3:00-6:00pm. No exceptions: check your schedule now!

Grading: 6 best quizzes =50%, Final=50%. Absolute vs curved grading: TBD.

Cheat?: Don't even think about it! The consequences are horrendous!

Mastering physics: Included in your textbook is access to the website MasteringPhysics.com. There are possibly helpful tools there. Here are the directions. I haven't looked at this or set up anything there, so feel free to ignore this. But if you're looking for extra help, maybe check it out (and let me know if you find anything useful there). Course id: MPINTRILLIGATOR83295. If you can't find the access code that came with your book, you can use the access code: MPGMS-PASHM-ARTIC-FLAMB-IBIZA-POSES

I didn't find a good practice final for 2a. I did find a past final for physics 1a, but the level and topics differ from that of 2a, plus I don't have the solutions, so I don't know if it's worth the time practicing with this. I just put it here in case you're interested.