Physics 141/241 Announcements

Monday, Jan 9, 08:00 am

• The first class is TODAY at 11:00 am. The first laboratory sessions is scheduled for Monday, January 9 between 2:30 pm - 5:30 pm. There is no laboratory session on January 16.

• Tuesday, Jan 10, 9:00 am

• Gnuplot 4.0 is installe now in /software/physics/bin/. If this Path is known to your bash shell, you just type gnuplot and it should work. Otherwise you need the full path name /software/physics/bin/gnuplot. The old version from ../public/bin has been removed. Links to Gnuplot 4.0 are posted in Lab 1.

• The first lab assignement will be modified and expanded tomorrow, and officially posted. The hints on the link to Lab 1 in part 6 are temporarily removed. Please check again the Announcements for the repost.

• Tuesday, Jan 10, 9:00 pm

• The first lab assignement is expanded and officially posted now.  You can access it from the home page.

• Tuesday, Jan 31, 10:00 am

Tomorrow (Wednesday, February 1) I will be away from UCSD. In the lecture slot of the course we will hold a special lab session for an open discussion of your progress on Assigment I. Hao Xu will be at hand to talk to you trying to identify problems and help. You can also consult in the discussion Rick Wagner who has considerable computer experiences. I encourage you to attend. It should be a good forum to exchange ideas. I will be back Friday night, if you have emergency questions which you wish to direct to me. I will also be reading e-mail sporadically in the meantime.

For the return of the assigment with deadline February 6, I am asking you to keep the four problem solutions in separate directories which should include the source code of your work, plots, and the mpeg movies you made. The directories also should include a brief README file each which explains what is contained in the directory. You should tar and compress the four directories and move the tar file into the public directory /ph141w/public/ASSIGN_1_winter06. Your name should identify the file (like kuti.tar.gz).

For the next Lab Session on Monday, I will finalize Assignment II with added discussion in the lab. You will have two weeks to work on it.
    Tuesday, February 7, 2006

(1)  The old C version of the Aaarseth N-body code in Lab 4 is replaced with a functional one which should compile and run properly on our lab platform.

(2)  The complete second Assignment is posted.

(3)  In the lecture on Wednesday I will discuss the full second Assignment set, provide a discussion on the stationary gravitational sphere (Plummer model) and briefly show you how to run the C version of the Aarseth N-body code. It is important that you attend!

Wednesday, February 16, 2006

The revised Assignment II set is posted now.

Help is posted for the velocity distribution of Problem 4 in Assignment II.

Monday, February 20, 2006

I extended the deadline until February 22 on Assigment II. The directory to deposit your
    solution is ASSIGNMENT_2_winter06. Please keep the different problems in separate directories and provide a short description of what you have done. This should include how you probed the conserved physical quantities in Problem 2, and how you generated and tested the Plummer model in Problem 4.